NASA Labour Relations Officer position
The Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA) is hiring a Labour Relations Officer (LRO) for a regular, continuing position.
The successful applicant will be expected to provide a range of union services to the NASA membership, including:
- interpretation and application of the collective agreement between NASA and the University of Alberta;
- assisting members in resolving disputes or workplace difficulties;
- assisting as required in collective bargaining;
- assisting and/or representing members in the job evaluation process; and
- assisting members with disability management issues.
Full details are available in the job posting. The deadline to apply is December 6, 2022.
Political Action & Member Education (PAC) Chair
NASA needs to fill a vacancy on the executive board through a by-election for a new Political Action & Member Education (PAC) Chair.
Full details about the position, nomination process, and the online nomination form are available on the elections page.
Do you have an interest in bylaws or finance? Or maybe you prefer to advocate for members or organize events? NASA is looking for members interested in filling vacancies on the following committee:
Each committee is responsible for reviewing matters relating to its mandate and prescribed duties and making recommendations as appropriate to the Executive Board.
If you are interested in volunteering with a committee, please contact the NASA Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 780-439-3181 or 1-877-439-3111.
NASA Union Stewards
NASA is always looking for more Union Stewards—members who have a passion for ensuring that they and their co-workers are treated fairly at work. If that sounds like you, then you could be a NASA steward!
Stewards are members who:
- establish NASA's presence in the workplace—the union steward is NASA's recognized representative and our "eyes and ears" in the workplace;
- enhance NASA's ability to represent its members under the terms of the Collective Agreement;
- protect members and advance their rights, interests and causes through advocacy;
- mobilize members in support of collective bargaining and other workplace initiatives;
- provide informed, effective and timely assistance to members with workplace issues; and
- attempt to resolve workplace issues in a manner that maintains a positive work environment.
Regular training is provided. For more information, the stewards policy is available on the NASA website.
If you are interested in becoming a NASA Union Steward, please contact your Labour Relations Officer (LRO) or email us at email@example.com.
Member Action Team (MAT)
NASA's Member Action Team (MAT) is a tool for members to work together to grow and develop skills as engaged union members, and to organize against employer or government activity as needed. In a time of university restructuring and provincial budget cuts, the MAT enables members to fight back and stand up for their interests.
MATs are an increasingly popular resource at unions worldwide. They offer an opportunity for grassroots member engagement and leadership in their unions on their own terms and to their own abilities. MATs enable members to strategize and take action to improve their working conditions or prospects, either through political or job action.
If you are interested in joining NASA's Member Action Team (MAT) or want to learn more, please contact NASA Organizer Cole Rockarts at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-989-6181.